DJI announces a new launch event today (May 8, 2019) on its website.
Before the official announcement, there were actually some rumors circling around that DJI will release a new product in May and it might be the Phantom 5 or it’s first Action camera.
If you are a fan of the DJI Phantom series drones, you may be disappointed this time. It’s more likely to be an Action camera rather than the expected Phantom 5 drone.
Here are the reasons:
- According to the previous new launches happened in the last two years, DJI is clearly unable to keep the new product under the hat. Leaked photos or even videos can be seen everywhere before releasing. If it’s the Phantom 5, there must be something you can find on social media or drone-related websites. The truth is leaked photos are all directing this to a new action camera.
- If you take a look at DJI.com, you will find that the announcement is actually not that a big deal. It’s not even made the head banner. You can’t see it unless you scroll down to the second screen. Everybody knows that DJI is a renowned drone company, if it’s going to be a drone, I don’t see any reason why the warm-up banner is not nailed at the most important place.
- Let’s see this from the product lines perspective. The Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom are already the most advanced models for prosumers. The Phantom 4 series has become unavailable not long after the Mavic 2 launch which means there is no room for the Phantom drone. If the new product is a Phantom 5, how DJI is going to position it? Make is a formidable component to its own flagship who is still in its prime time?
- If you take a look at the teaser page, there is even no teaser video. This is so abnormal. If you go to YouTube, I am pretty sure you can find a teaser for every DJI drone since the Phantom 3 Series.
- Last but not least, there is no sign of an offline launch event which I believe is also the sign of a big launch.
If it’s really an Action Camera, all I have to say is good luck, GoPro.