The new Mavic Air 2 only comes with 8GB internal storage and doesn’t include a microSD card in the package. It’s far from enough for you to shoot 4K videos because 8GB can only hold a video of about 8-minutes long. So microSD cards are essential accessories for your new drone.
Using the wrong cards may result in incompatibility issues, unusable videos, or dropped-frame videos. According to DJI, Mavic Air 2 supports a microSD card with a capacity of up to 256 GB, and it has a recommendation list. Click here to see if your existing cards are compatible.
If you forget to buy an SD card along with the drone or what you have is not compatible, just keep reading.
This article will help you to choose the best microSD memory card for your Mavic Air 2 according to your needs and brand preference.
Things you need to know about Mavic Air 2 SD card.
1. Mavic Air 2 is capable of 4K/60fps videos @120Mbps, 1080p @240fps, and 8k Hyperlapse. This means it requires sd cards that have high writing speed.
2. Normally, 4k Ultra HD video-capable sd cards require a write rate of at least 30MB/s. Those who come with 60MB/s or 90MB/s or higher will work even better. Using the wrong cards may result in incompatibility issues or dropped-frame videos.
3. When shooting in 4K, a 32GB SD card can only hold like a 32-minute long video. As 4K videos consume more space, so it’s recommended to choose bigger microSD cards. 64GB or higher is better. If you seldom shoot videos, then 32GB works for you.
4. As a drone pilot myself, I got to tell you that one microSD card is really not enough, and you won’t feel safe cause you can’t capture videos if you forget to backup the sd card or the only one card is broken.
How to check your MicroSD Card Compatibility for DJI Mavic Air 2?
I guess you may already have a few microSD cards in handy, if they are not in the DJI’s recommendation list, you just need to check the writing speed to see if they meet the requirement of at least 30MB/s write speed.
If you don’t know how to check the write speed, Here is an overview:
Take a look at the SD Card to see if it’s labeled with U3, V30, V60, or V90.
Learn more about SD Card Speed Class Standards.
If not, just check the following list of the best Mavic air 2 SD cards.
- SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB UHS-III V30 A2 microSDXC
- SanDisk High Endurance 64GB UHS-III V30 microSDXC
- SanDisk Extreme 64GB UHS-III V30 A2 microSDXC
- Lexar 667x 64GB UHS-III V30 A2 microSDXC
- Lexar High-Endurance 64GB UHS-III V30 microSDXC
- SanDisk Extreme 128GB UHS-III V30 A2 microSDXC
- Samsung EVO Plus 128GB UHS-III microSDXC
- Kingston V30 128GB UHS-III microSDXC
- SanDisk Extreme 256GB UHS-III V30 A2 microSDXC
- Samsung EVO Plus 256GB UHS-III microSDXC
- Netac 256GB UHS-III A1 microSDXC
What else you may need?
An sd card case is an essential piece to protects your microSD cards safely. This card came is made from tough material that is water-resistant and can absorb shock. The rounded corners and case faces make it a nice fit for a back pocket, and the cutouts for the cards seem to hold sd cards firmly in place.
Getting long-duration 4K videos to your mobile device is a pain in the ass if you download them directly from your drone. Normally a 1GB 4K video may take more than 3 minutes to finish the process. Let alone your drone will heat up. Using an SD Card Reader will significantly increase the download speed and you don’t need to keep your drone turn on.
Why You Should Trust Me?
As the founder of Cutofdrone.com, I have nearly 5 years of experience working with DJI. During my time there, I was in charge of the DJI Online Store operation and participated in every major new product launch. I also initiated the introduction of the microSD cards that are now selling on the DJI Store.
I am an experienced drone pilot, and I own a Phantom 3 Advanced, a Mavic Pro, a Mavic 2 Pro, and a Mavic Mini. I have more than 10 micro SD cards for my drones.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the Max SD card size of Mavic Air 2?
The Max SD card size that Mavic Air 2 supports is 256GB.
2. Can I fly the Mavic Air 2 without an SD memory card?
Yes. Mavic Air 2 has 8GB built-in storage which is a backup for you to capture some photos and videos. Also, if you don’t fly with an SD Card, you will only get low-resolution footage and photos cached on your mobile device.
3. Does Mavic Air 2 come with an SD Card?
No, it doesn’t come with any MicroSD Card.
4. What memory SD Card does Mavic Air 2 use?
The Mavic Air 2 requires microSD cards that have a writing speed of at least 30MB/s.
5. Where can I find Mavic Air 2 SD Card Slot?
The SD card slot of Mavic Air 2 is on the right side of the aircraft.
6. How to format your Mavic Air 2 SD Card?
There are two ways you can format your Mavic Air 2 sd card. One is to format with your computer, the other is to format with the drone: Tap on the 3 dots on the main screen of DJI Fly, then choose ‘Camera‘ in the following screen, can scroll down until you see the “Storage Location‘, you will find the Format button.
7. What are the V Rating and U Rating of SD cards?
- U3: MicroSD cards with a U3 rating have a write rate of 30MB/s.
- V30: A V30 sd card comes with a Min. writing speed of 30MB/s.
- V60: A V60 card has a Min. write speed of 60MB/s.
- V90: A V90 memory card supports the Min. writing speed of 90MB/s.
You may also be interested in: